commons-user mailing list archives

From Ferindo Middleton <ferindo.middle...@gmail.com>
Subject [email] Exchange Server Authentication / NTLM
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2010 07:12:22 GMT
I'm trying to send email through an MS Exchange server that I have a user
account on. My servlet connects to the server but is unable to authenticate
using the login credentials I have on the server. My outlook email client
says it's using Kerberos/NTLM authentication mechanism so I imagine that the
servlet is failing to authenticate because it's not using NTLM
authentication. I'm using commons-email-1.2. Is it possible to authenticate
to exchange server using commons-email-1.2. I'm going to paste a snippet of
my servlet code and debug info in Tomcat stdout_ log.

servlet snippet below:

HtmlEmail email = new HtmlEmail();
  email.setHostName("xxxxxxxxxxx");
  email.setAuthentication("xxxxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxxxx");
  email.setSmtpPort(25);
  email.setTLS(true);

 try {
  // Create the email message
  email.addTo("xxxxxxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxxxxx");
  ..... (other properties of the email message added here....)
  email.send();

stdout_ log messages below:

DEBUG: getProvider() returning
javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc]
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "xxxxxxxxxxxx", port 25

220 xxxxxxxxxxxx Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Sun, 1 Aug 2010
02:28:35 -0400
DEBUG SMTP: connected to host
"xxxxxxxxxxxx<http://aus2k3e7smbx002.us.usaid.gov/>",
port: 25
EHLO XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
250-xxxxxxxxxxxx Hello [165.13.128.8]
250-SIZE
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-STARTTLS
250-X-ANONYMOUSTLS
250-AUTH NTLM
250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM
250-8BITMIME
250-BINARYMIME
250-CHUNKING
250-XEXCH50
250 XRDST
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "SIZE", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "PIPELINING", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "DSN", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "STARTTLS", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "X-ANONYMOUSTLS", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "AUTH", arg "NTLM"
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "X-EXPS", arg "GSSAPI NTLM"
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "8BITMIME", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "BINARYMIME", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "CHUNKING", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "XEXCH50", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "XRDST", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Attempt to authenticate
DEBUG SMTP: use8bit false
MAIL FROM:<xxxxxxxxxxxx>
530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated