commons-user mailing list archives

From Tobin Juday <tobini...@gmail.com>
Subject [email] Content type multipart issue
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 00:24:20 GMT
I’m using the Commons email project to send HTML emails from my application,
and I’ve run into a problem.

The emails are sent fine, but if the receiver replies, the original message
is not included in the response.  (I know this sounds like an email client
issue, but Thunderbird, Gmail, and Mail.app all perform similarly, so I
think the problem is elsewhere)

What I’ve narrowed it down to is this:  When Commons sends out an email, it
sends a multipart/mixed section which contains a multipart/alternative,
which then contains the text/plain and text/html sections.  When I send out
a similar messages from other apps (Thunderbird/Mail.app), they just send
out the multipart/alternative section, it’s not wrapped in the
multipart/mixed.

I’m not sure if this is necessarily a bug, the emails display fine in all
the different clients, but I’m wondering if there’s some way to get rid of
the multipart/mixed section.

Just for clarification, I’ve included some links for what emails from
different clients look like.

Commons: http://gist.github.com/474799
Mail.app: http://gist.github.com/474796
Thunderbird: http://gist.github.com/474801