commons-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [dbcp] connection error while querying to db after being 7+ hours idle.
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:50:44 GMT
On 2010-07-21 07:37, Minhaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing the following problem when I'm trying to access database in the
> morning. which means after use application after being 7+ hours idle. I even
> tried to append autoReconnect=true into db connection string but no luck yet
> :( and the most strangest thing is that this error rise only once in very
> first query, but when i try next time it works perfectly alright.
>
> Anyone ever faced such issue?

Yes. What happens is that the MySQL server closes the connecion at the
server end, due to it not being used for an extended period of time. In
our experience this timeout is 8 hours. The server does not notify DBCP
or the calling application. So you end up with a JDBC connection on the
Java end that is unusable.

What you need to do is make sure that each connection in the pool is
used every 8 hours or less. I don't use DBCP myself, but there usually
is a timer you can set in  a connection pool that runs a really simple
keep-alive query in a given interval.

--
Dennis Lundberg