commons-user mailing list archives

From mehul mehta <majidme...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [dbcp] Re: DBCP minIdle
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:41:30 GMT

So if we end up with 40 idle connections with a setting of 30 maxIdle and 50 maxActive connections,
does it mean that maxActive overrides maxIdle as far as idle connections are concerned (evictor
is off)?
We will reduce the maxActive setting as well as increase the timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis
at which the evictor runs. Is there a way to log connection creation other than overriding
BasicDataSource.getConnection?Also, not sure if there is a way to log how long the evictor
runs? We are trying to see if application's poor performance is tied to the connection pool
in any way.
- Mehul

> Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 08:24:44 -0400
> From: phil.steitz@gmail.com
> To: user@commons.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [dbcp] Re: DBCP minIdle
>
> mehul mehta wrote:
> > If we turn off the evictor, does it mean that the connections keep growing indefinitely
in the pool?

> No.  The maxActive bound limits the total number of connections that
> can be either idle in the pool or checked out to clients at any
> given time.  (I would seriously consider reducing that value from
> where you have it set.)  The maxIdle setting, which works with or
> without the evictor, bounds the number of connections that can be
> idle in the pool.
>
> Phil
> >
> >> Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:28:00 -0400
> >> From: phil.steitz@gmail.com
> >> To: user@commons.apache.org
> >> Subject: Re: [dbcp] Re: DBCP minIdle

should set it to the default which is 30 minutes.
> >> Yes, running the evictor every 5 seconds is likely to cause
> >> performance problems, especially during periods of heavy load or
> >> when using pool 1.3.
> >>
> >> If you turn off the evictor altogether, minIdle will not be
> >> maintained, there will be no abandoned connection removal, and no
> >> "eviction" of connections that have been idle in the pool for longer
> >> than the minEvictableIdleTimeMillis.  If your application does not
> >> need these things, you are better off turning off the evictor.
> >>
> >> Having maxActive so much larger than maxIdle could cause connection
> >> churn if load comes in spikes and you regularly go significantly
> >> above 50 active connections.
> >>
> >> Phil

25, maxIdle = 50, maxActive = 10000. We often experience slow down in queries to the database
that normally do not take that long. We are pretty sure that it is not the database.Let us
say the idle connections are 25. Now one of the idle connections is used up. Does dbcp create
a new connection right away to maintain 25 idle connections. Or does dbcp wait for 25 idle
connections to be used up and then create 25 new connections at one time? Regards,