commons-user mailing list archives

From mehul mehta <majidme...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [dbcp] Re: DBCP minIdle
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:33:42 GMT

Thanks. We are using dbcp and pool that ship with tomcat (6.0.26) i.e. tomcat-dbcp.jar. I
believe tomcat 6 uses dbcp 1.2.2 and pool 1.3. Here is the change log: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/changelog.html
- Mehul

> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:06:08 -0400
> From: phil.steitz@gmail.com
> To: user@commons.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [dbcp] Re: DBCP minIdle
>
> mehul mehta wrote:
> > So if we end up with 40 idle connections with a setting of 30 maxIdle
>
> You will never have 40 idle connections if you set maxIdle at 30 -
> the excess idle connections will be destroyed when they are returned
> to the pool.
>  and 50 maxActive connections, does it mean that maxActive overrides
> maxIdle as far as idle connections are concerned
>  (evictor is off)?
>
> MaxActive bounds the number of connections that can be either idle
> or active at any given time. If you have maxActive set at 50 and
> maxIdle set at 30, then you will never have more than 50 connections
> total opened by the pool and among these, no more than 30 will be
> idle at any time.
>
> > Is there a way to log connection creation other than overriding BasicDataSource.getConnection?
>
> No, DBCP does not log connection creation.  Most database engines
> provide a way to monitor this, though.
>
> Also, not sure if there is a way to log how long the evictor runs?
>
> No.
>  We are trying to see if application's poor performance is tied to
> the connection pool in any way.
>
> It would help if you posted the versions of dbcp and pool that you
> are running and if you have not done so, upgrade to the latest versions.
>
> Phil
> > - Mehul
> >
> >> Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 08:24:44 -0400
> >> From: phil.steitz@gmail.com
> >> To: user@commons.apache.org
> >> Subject: Re: [dbcp] Re: DBCP minIdle

> >> No.  The maxActive bound limits the total number of connections that
> >> can be either idle in the pool or checked out to clients at any
> >> given time.  (I would seriously consider reducing that value from
> >> where you have it set.)  The maxIdle setting, which works with or
> >> without the evictor, bounds the number of connections that can be
> >> idle in the pool.
> >>
> >> Phil

we should set it to the default which is 30 minutes.

= 25, maxIdle = 50, maxActive = 10000. We often experience slow down in queries to the database
that normally do not take that long. We are pretty sure that it is not the database.Let us
say the idle connections are 25. Now one of the idle connections is used up. Does dbcp create
a new connection right away to maintain 25 idle connections. Or does dbcp wait for 25 idle
connections to be used up and then create 25 new connections at one time? Regards,