commons-user mailing list archives

From Srikanth Kannan <srikanth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] implementation of (1D interpolation) interp1 function of MATLAB in Apache Commons
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 01:07:30 GMT
Thanks a lot Luc. Sorry to ask again, but i am not sure. Which is the best
method to use for linear interpolation (which is used by interp1 of Matlab).

For example, if i am given two arrays x = {1,2,3,4,5}, which is the domain
and y={1,8,27,64,125}, which is the range(function is cube).Now, to find the
value of y for x= 1.22, i use the interp1 method in Matlab, and get the
answer as 2.54

ans = interp1(x,y,1.22) = 2.54. (but, the cube of 1.22 is 1.8158) . I need
to do this as Matlab's interp1 does. Any idea of how should i implement this
?

Regards
Srikanth Kannan