commons-user mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [beanutils] beanutils library cannot invoke the correct accessor
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 03:24:07 GMT
The property consists of the getter/setter, not some field.  So, the
pair of matching setter/getter are what makes up the property.  The
overloaded method isn't a setter for the property.

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Dimitris Tsitses <4.biz.etc@gmail.com> wrote:
> myProperty is of one type only. The overloaded setters are there only for convenience,
i.e., to convert to the type of myProperty before setting it. I don't think the JavaBeans
spec disallows that, if it did, that would mean that the JavaBeans spec undermines Java's
spec! (i.e., do you like method overloading? Well, you can't use it here!). That would of
course severally restrict JavaBeans usefulness.

> On 2010-06-06, at 5:50 AM, James Carman wrote:
>
>> That violates the JavaBeans specification.  "myProperty" is supposed
>> to be of one type only.
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Dimitris Tsitses <4.biz.etc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all, I'm trying to do something really simple but I can't seem to figure it
out, I hope someone can help.

>>> I have a simple bean:
>>>

>>> public class MyBean {
>>>        private ClassTypeA myProperty;
>>>
>>>        public void setMyProperty(ClassTypeA anObj) {
>>>                this.myProperty = anObj;
>>>        }
>>>        public void setMyProperty(ClassTypeB anObj) {
>>>                this.myProperty = Converter.convertBtoA(anObj);
>>>        }
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> If I invoke the setter by passing an instance of ClassTypeA, it works without
a problem:
>>> BeanUtils.setProperty(myBeanInst, "myProperty", instanceOfClassTypeA);
>>>

>>> However if I invoke the setter by passing an instance of ClassTypeB, I get an
exception and the setter is never actually called:
>>> BeanUtils.setProperty(myBeanInst, "myProperty", instanceOfClassTypeB);
>>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot invoke.. la la la - argument type
mismatch -

>>> I can't believe it is not possible to do that, I'm sure I'm just missing something.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.