commons-user mailing list archives

From Dimitris Tsitses <4.biz....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [beanutils] beanutils library cannot invoke the correct accessor
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 04:04:45 GMT
Ok. I need some help to hack the library, where do I start. I want to make it so that it checks
the available setters against the objectType of the given argument, instead of assuming an
argument of a specific type. Example:

BeanUtils.setProperty(myBeanInst, "myProperty", instanceOfClassTypeX);

Algo: is there a setMyProperty in myBeanInst, accepting an argument of type ClassTypeX?
YES: call it
NO: throw exception

Would appreciate it if someone could point me to the right direction for achieving the above.

Thanks
Dimitris

On 2010-06-06, at 8:24 PM, James Carman wrote:

> The property consists of the getter/setter, not some field.  So, the
> pair of matching setter/getter are what makes up the property.  The
> overloaded method isn't a setter for the property.
>
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Dimitris Tsitses <4.biz.etc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> myProperty is of one type only. The overloaded setters are there only for convenience,
i.e., to convert to the type of myProperty before setting it. I don't think the JavaBeans
spec disallows that, if it did, that would mean that the JavaBeans spec undermines Java's
spec! (i.e., do you like method overloading? Well, you can't use it here!). That would of
course severally restrict JavaBeans usefulness.

>> On 2010-06-06, at 5:50 AM, James Carman wrote:
>>
>>> That violates the JavaBeans specification.  "myProperty" is supposed
>>> to be of one type only.

it out, I hope someone can help.

an exception and the setter is never actually called:

something. Any help will be greatly appreciated.