commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] Re: DBCP minIdle
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:24:44 GMT
mehul mehta wrote:
> If we turn off the evictor, does it mean that the connections keep growing indefinitely
in the pool?

No.  The maxActive bound limits the total number of connections that
can be either idle in the pool or checked out to clients at any
given time.  (I would seriously consider reducing that value from
where you have it set.)  The maxIdle setting, which works with or
without the evictor, bounds the number of connections that can be
idle in the pool.

Phil

>> Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:28:00 -0400
>> From: phil.steitz@gmail.com
>> To: user@commons.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: [dbcp] Re: DBCP minIdle
>>
>> mehul mehta wrote:
>>> Here is our config:
>>>   maxActive="10000" maxWait="60000" minIdle="25" maxIdle="50"
>>>         validationQuery="select current_date from sysibm/sysdummy1"
>>>         testOnBorrow="true"
>>>         testWhileIdle="false"
>>>         testOnReturn="true"
>>>         timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="5000"
>>>         minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="60000"
>>>         numTestsPerEvictionRun="5"
>>>         removeAbandoned="true"
>>>         removeAbandonedTimeout="300"
>>>         logAbandoned="true"
>>> It appears that our minEvictableIdleTimeMillis is too short. Probably, we should
set it to the default which is 30 minutes.
>>> Also, is there any down side of setting timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis to -1 (no
evictor)?
>>> Not sure if you observe any thing else in the config that can cause performance
issues?
>> Yes, running the evictor every 5 seconds is likely to cause
>> performance problems, especially during periods of heavy load or
>> when using pool 1.3.
>>
>> If you turn off the evictor altogether, minIdle will not be
>> maintained, there will be no abandoned connection removal, and no
>> "eviction" of connections that have been idle in the pool for longer
>> than the minEvictableIdleTimeMillis.  If your application does not
>> need these things, you are better off turning off the evictor.
>>
>> Having maxActive so much larger than maxIdle could cause connection
>> churn if load comes in spikes and you regularly go significantly
>> above 50 active connections.
>>
>> Phil
>>> - Mehul

maxIdle = 50, maxActive = 10000. We often experience slow down in queries to the database
that normally do not take that long. We are pretty sure that it is not the database.Let us
say the idle connections are 25. Now one of the idle connections is used up. Does dbcp create
a new connection right away to maintain 25 idle connections. Or does dbcp wait for 25 idle
connections to be used up and then create 25 new connections at one time? Regards,