commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <>
Subject [dbcp] Re: DBCP minIdle
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:45:31 GMT
mehul mehta wrote:
> Hello, We have dbcp configuration in production set as minIdle = 25, maxIdle = 50, maxActive
= 10000. We often experience slow down in queries to the database that normally do not take
that long. We are pretty sure that it is not the database.Let us say the idle connections
are 25. Now one of the idle connections is used up. Does dbcp create a new connection right
away to maintain 25 idle connections. Or does dbcp wait for 25 idle connections to be used
up and then create 25 new connections at one time? Regards,

The pool does not attempt to ensure minIdle after each
borrow/return. It does this each time the "evictor" maintenance
thread runs, which is once every timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis

maxIdle is enforced on each return to the pool - i.e., if there are
maxIdle connections idle in the pool when a connection is returned,
it is destroyed.

What versions of dbcp and pool are you running and what is your
timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis setting?