commons-user mailing list archives

From Fabrizio Morbini <fmorb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scxml] templating/src/xinclude and returning a value(through datamodel/donedata)
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 17:57:55 GMT
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:37, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, too much cut and paste. Since this assignment isn't necessarily
> using a location expression, use:
>
>  <assign name="AAA" expr="'s3'"/>
>
> For details, see:
>
>  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/guide/datamodel.html#assign
>
> Alternatively, the <data> could be made to store XML content (like the
> travel reservation example at the above URL), and the location
> attribute could then be used in a portable way.

using name= instead of location= solves the problem.

however it's not clear to me why it solves the problem (i did read the
doc page you pointed at). From the doc:
using name is for: "Assigning to a scratch space variable"
using location is for "Assigning a literal to a data subtree"

our case here is the second, however the one that works is the first.
If we want to assign to a <data> item that is inherited from a parent
scxml file, why do we have to use name instead of location?

finally, what do you mean with your last paragraph? (in particular
with: "and the location attribute could then be used in a portable
way", do you mean that there is a way to decouple b.scxml from being
usable only in a.scxml (or anything providing a <data> item named AAA)
if the link AAA is implemented as xml as in the reservation example?)

thanks again.

best,
fabrizio.