commons-user mailing list archives

From Frank van der Kleij <kl...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [vfs] Putting a VFS behind a sftp server
Date Sun, 16 May 2010 15:04:19 GMT

I just uploaded the distribution on http://sourceforge.net/projects/vfs-utils/files; file
vfsshell-0.1.0-SNAPSHOT-server-bin.zip contains the SSHD server with SFTP support for VFS.
It also contains the local command line interface, which is inspired on the example shell
of VFS and gives a range of file system operations and allows running scripts. The command
line interface is a good tool for local tests.

You might want to configure the commands that are available for the users that log in with
SSH, see http://vfs-utils.sourceforge.net/shell/sshd.html for this.

Typically you would want to put your own libraries in local/lib and configuration files that
need to be in the classpath in local/classes.

I still have some work on closing the file system when there are no more users connected,
but unless you have many users this should not be too big a problem; when the same user logs
in twice the file system is reused the second time.

The SFTP server supports protocol v3 with some limitations on the random access and file appending
parts.

I haven't been able to test everything, this isn't exactly a finished product, but give it
a spin and see if it works for you.

You'd better not use this mailing list if you have any questions, but you can use the one
of the sourceforge project instead.

Frank

> From: virajs@amazon.com
> To: user@commons.apache.org
> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:35:11 -0700
> Subject: Re: [vfs] Putting a VFS behind a sftp server
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> That's terrific news! I look forward to picking it up.
>
> Viraj
>
> On Apr 30, 2010, at 12:18 AM, Frank van der Kleij wrote:
>

> > Hi Viraj,
> >
> > Guillaume Nodet from the Apache SSHD project just included the necessary for the
SFTP support in the SSHD trunk and he plans to deliver v0.4.0 soon.

> > I will start the integration this week-end and I think that in a week or so I'll
have it working using VFS.

> > It will need some thorough testing, because you'd be the first to put it to use.
> >
> > Frank
> >
> >> From: kleij@hotmail.com
> >> To: user@commons.apache.org
> >> Subject: RE: [vfs] Putting a VFS behind a sftp server
> >> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:25:02 +0000
> >>

> >> SFTP has nothing to do with FTP unfortunately, so Apache FTP Server only supports
FTPS.

> >> But I know that the Apache SSHD server has (or is working on) SFTP support.
I have integrated my VFS CLI in the Apache SSHD server; it is still experimental, but it does
have SCP support.  (The SCP does not allow browsing by WinSCP though.) I have been wanting
to check out the SFTP integration, but haven't found time for it yet.

> >> The CLI/SSHD binding can be found at
> >>
> >> http://vfs-utils.sourceforge.net/shell/sshd.html
> >>
> >> Frank

to any of the file system providers that VFS supports. I can't say I've ever looked for anything
similar to what you are trying to do.  I would suggest you either contact the authors of FTPServer
Bridge and ask there or look into modifying that code yourself. You might also consider using
WebDav. cadaver provides an CLI that is similar to FTP.

gives you an ftp interface to a VFS (which could be another FTP server, WebDav, etc). This
is nice as it allows me to host an ftp server, which people can log into and browse a VFS
(in my case, this filesystem would otherwise only be accessible via a restful api).

behind a firewall, so I'm looking for a similar solution where I can host an SFTP server which
allows user to read/write to a VFS.

sftp providers but I know lots of other people do.  However, your question has me confused.
When you say "I'd like VFS to be accesssible via sftp" I'm not sure what you mean. VFS is
a client layer that provides a File-like interface to access resources that are accessible
via protocols with a file-system like structure, such as FTP, WebDav, etc.

there was a sftp bridge like the ftp bridge to Apache FTPServer (http://vfs-utils.sourceforge.net/ftpserver/index.html).
Basically, I'd like the VFS to be accessible via sftp.

to get this to work? Is it possible to just mount an vfs in a unix file system?