commons-user mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Null pointer exception while creating a XMLConfiguration object in a static method.
Date Tue, 11 May 2010 17:11:41 GMT
Can you try with the latest code in trunk?

Ralph

On May 11, 2010, at 9:50 AM, arja srinivasu wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been running into an issue while creating an xml configuration object from an
xml file, I am using jdk 1.6.0_20 and commons-configuration-1.6.jar, similar code works when
the method is non-static, appreciate any comments or pointers in resolving this issue

> Here is the code which is creating this XMLConfiguration object.
> privatestatic void load(String dataFilePath)throwsExceptionnull;null;   finalFile dataFile
= newFile(dataFilePath);"Data file does not exist: "+ dataFile);// this check succeeds no
assertion error is thrown"Data file is not readable: "+ dataFile);// this check succeeds no
assertion error is thrown   log.info("Reading the data file: "+ dataFile);newXMLConfiguration(dataFileURL);
> {
>    URL dataFileURL =
>    HierarchicalConfiguration dataFromFile =
>    assertTrue(dataFile.exists(),
>    assertTrue(dataFile.canRead(),
>    dataFileURL = ConfigurationUtils.locate(dataFilePath); //Returns a proper url of the
file passed.
>    dataFromFile =
> }
>
> Here is a partial stack trace of the error:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at java.net.URLDecoder.decode(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_20]
> at java.net.URLDecoder.decode(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_20]
> at org.apache.commons.configuration.ConfigurationUtils.fileFromURL(
> at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractFileConfiguration.load(
> at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractFileConfiguration.load(
> at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractHierarchicalFileConfiguration.load(
> at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractHierarchicalFileConfiguration.<init>(
> at org.apache.commons.configuration.XMLConfiguration.<init>(
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --Srinu: nullConfigurationUtils.java:719) [commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]AbstractFileConfiguration.java:276)
[commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]AbstractFileConfiguration.java:193) [commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]AbstractHierarchicalFileConfiguration.java:164)
[commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]AbstractHierarchicalFileConfiguration.java:126) [commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]XMLConfiguration.java:267)
[commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]