commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: Null pointer exception while creating a XMLConfiguration object in a static method.
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 19:40:28 GMT
Am 11.05.2010 21:47, schrieb arja srinivasu:
> Thanks for the response, Here is the code again, hope this time it does not appear garbled.
>
> {
> URL dataFileURL =
> HierarchicalConfiguration dataFromFile =
> assertTrue(dataFile.exists(), privatestatic void load(String dataFilePath)throwsExceptionnull;null;finalFile
dataFile = newFile(dataFilePath);"Data file does not exist: "+ dataFile);dataFileURL = ConfigurationUtils.locate(dataFilePath);
> //The line below throws the error.
> dataFromFile =
> }
> Thankslog.info("Reading the data file: "+ dataFile);newXMLConfiguration(dataFileURL);
> Srinu

I still cannot read the source code, but anyway:

Because the exception happens in URLDecoder the URL returned by
ConfigurationUtils seems to be strange. Can you print it out to check
how it actually looks like?

I am not sure why you do the file to URL conversion at all. You can
directly create the XMLConfiguration passing your File object to the
constructor. Did you test this?

Oliver

an xml file, I am using jdk 1.6.0_20 and commons-configuration-1.6.jar, similar code works
when the method is non-static, appreciate any comments or pointers in resolving this issue

>> Here is the code which is creating this XMLConfiguration object.
>> privatestatic void load(String dataFilePath)throwsExceptionnull;null;  finalFile
dataFile = newFile(dataFilePath);"Data file does not exist: "+ dataFile);// this check succeeds
no assertion error is thrown"Data file is not readable: "+ dataFile);// this check succeeds
no assertion error is thrown  log.info("Reading the data file: "+ dataFile);newXMLConfiguration(dataFileURL);
>> {
>>      URL dataFileURL =
>>      HierarchicalConfiguration dataFromFile =
>>      assertTrue(dataFile.exists(),
>>      assertTrue(dataFile.canRead(),
>>      dataFileURL = ConfigurationUtils.locate(dataFilePath); //Returns a proper url
of the file passed.
>>      dataFromFile =
>> }
>
> Your code example got somehow messed up and is hardly readable. Can you
> please repost?
>
> Oliver
>

>> Here is a partial stack trace of the error:
>>
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>> at java.net.URLDecoder.decode(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_20]
>> at java.net.URLDecoder.decode(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_20]
>> at org.apache.commons.configuration.ConfigurationUtils.fileFromURL(
>> at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractFileConfiguration.load(
>> at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractFileConfiguration.load(
>> at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractHierarchicalFileConfiguration.load(
>> at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractHierarchicalFileConfiguration.<init>(
>> at org.apache.commons.configuration.XMLConfiguration.<init>(
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> --Srinu: nullConfigurationUtils.java:719) [commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]AbstractFileConfiguration.java:276)
[commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]AbstractFileConfiguration.java:193) [commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]AbstractHierarchicalFileConfiguration.java:164)
[commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]AbstractHierarchicalFileConfiguration.java:126) [commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]XMLConfiguration.java:267)
[commons-configuration-1.6.jar:1.6]