commons-user mailing list archives

From rhwinzin <ralph.winzin...@senacor.com>
Subject Configuration: Reading multiple files with the same name (from different jars)
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 10:34:44 GMT

Hi,

I'm currently designing an application which has to be very flexible /
extendable. My idea was to provide certain "hooks" (i.e. configuration files
with well defined names) that can be placed in various jar modules or in the
file-system classpath. Maybe I should give an example:

Say we have a configuration file "error-msg.properties". This file might be
provided in various JARs (/META-INF/error-msg.properties") and all of them
should be loaded. Furthermore, the application should check the file-system
classpath if there's also one (or more) such property file. The whole thing
should support reload strategy and the application should also check, if
there was a new properties file created in the classpath.

I'm not quite sure, whether Commons-Configuration supports this out of the
box. If so, maybe someone could give me a hint, on how to do this. If not,
hints for writing the respective extension are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ralph