commons-user mailing list archives

From James Carman <>
Subject Re: [LANG] incompatibility of jar with svn
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:27:54 GMT
The Commons Lang library isn't intended to be "mixed and matched"
between releases like that.  The package is released as a whole.  You
can't expect to pick stuff out of different releases and then just
combine them and somehow expect them to work.

The reason the package name is changing is so that the next-generation
work on Commons Lang can move forward.  This way, even if you still
have an old version of Commons Lang in your classpath (because of a
third-party dependency) and you want to use Lang3, you can still do
it.  The code that depends on the old stuff will work just fine and
the code that depends on the new stuff will work just fine.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Tom Brito <> wrote:
> Hi all!
> I would like to know why this incompatibility between the jar file and the
> svn repository:
> In the jar file there is the package org.apache.commons.lang;
> This same package in svn is called org.apache.commons.lang3
> As consequence, I can't use code directly from svn, becouse it will not run
> with the jar.
> Anyone know why this incompatibility?
> Thanks!
> -- Wellington B. de Carvalho