commons-user mailing list archives

From Sachin Dole <sachin.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] compare/complement r
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:09:20 GMT
Thank you! I reached a similar inference reading up on the site and now
after reading this email I feel like I have a strong confirmation. Thanks
again.

On Apr 28, 2010 9:11 PM, "Phil Steitz" <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:

Sachin Dole wrote:
> R probably has a large superset of features that math provides while it
> tries...
You are correct that in general R provides a superset of what
commons math does, though there are a few things that commons math
provides that R does not.  There is a lot of overlap and in many
cases the functionality that is provided by commons math is similar
to what R provides, though of course the APIs are different. We test
some of the commons math implementation classes against R (see the R
subdirectory in src/test).  Commons math will not be of much value
as a wrapper / invocation framework for R; but it can be used
directly to do some of the same computations that R does.  This was
part of the original motivation for creating commons math.

The best way to get an overview of what is provided by commons math
is to look at the User Guide:
http://commons.apache.org/math/userguide/index.html

Phil