commons-user mailing list archives

From "Sanghvi, Viraj" <vir...@amazon.com>
Subject Re: [vfs] Putting a VFS behind a sftp server
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2010 06:38:58 GMT
Is it possible to mount a vfs on a local file system and navigate/browse as any other file
system? I think something like this was mentioned on the VFSNext wiki page, but was wondering
if anyone had tackled this.

On Apr 26, 2010, at 10:31 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I'm not familiar with FTPServer Bridge. IIUC it provides an FTP interface to any of the
file system providers that VFS supports. I can't say I've ever looked for anything similar
to what you are trying to do.  I would suggest you either contact the authors of FTPServer
Bridge and ask there or look into modifying that code yourself. You might also consider using
WebDav. cadaver provides an CLI that is similar to FTP.

> Ralph
>

> On Apr 26, 2010, at 10:09 PM, Sanghvi, Viraj wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I should have been more clear.
>>
>> So the VFS FTPServer Bridge (http://vfs-utils.sourceforge.net/ftpserver/index.html),
gives you an ftp interface to a VFS (which could be another FTP server, WebDav, etc). This
is nice as it allows me to host an ftp server, which people can log into and browse a VFS
(in my case, this filesystem would otherwise only be accessible via a restful api).

>> Unfortunately, FTP isn't very secure, and FTPS can have issues when behind a firewall,
so I'm looking for a similar solution where I can host an SFTP server which allows user to
read/write to a VFS.

>> Does that make more sense?
>>
>> Thanks for the quick response!
>>
>> On Apr 26, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, VFS has support for sftp. I don't personally use the ftp or sftp providers
but I know lots of other people do.  However, your question has me confused. When you say
"I'd like VFS to be accesssible via sftp" I'm not sure what you mean. VFS is a client layer
that provides a File-like interface to access resources that are accessible via protocols
with a file-system like structure, such as FTP, WebDav, etc.

>>> Ralph

sftp bridge like the ftp bridge to Apache FTPServer (http://vfs-utils.sourceforge.net/ftpserver/index.html).
Basically, I'd like the VFS to be accessible via sftp.

work? Is it possible to just mount an vfs in a unix file system?