commons-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Melloni <Bruno.Mell...@chickasaw.net>
Subject RE: [dbcp] Re: "Connection reset" exceptions
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:18:53 GMT
Thanks Martin. The url, username and password are not blank, they are inserted into the context by Spring's PropertyOverrideConfigurer.  All of the queries are in a try/catch block already.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno Melloni
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:55 AM
To: Bruno Melloni; Commons Users List
Subject: RE: [dbcp] Re: "Connection reset" exceptions

Looks like my email ate few of the responses, but I found them on the MarkMail archive.  I am following up on them and it looks promising, I'll report on the result.

Here are answers to the questions I missed, and additional findings:

- My query is intense and returns quite a bit of data and might run for a while.  Could this cause some kind of timeout?  If so, is there a DBCP attribute I can set to increase the timeout?

- My DBA looked at the DB logs.  Found that the problem started in February.  From the DB side it "looks like" the client is shutting down before all the data is returned - which makes no sense, since when using Spring you get the whole list of results at once [Map<String, Object> results = c.execute(inParams);].

- I did not have testOnBorrow turned on.  I added it.

- I was using the Microsoft 2.0 driver for SQL Server 2008.  Searching for the TDS error I found an entry in http://blogs.msdn.com/jdbcteam/archive/2009/04/03/announcing-microsoft-sql-server-jdbc-driver-2-0.aspx that seems to indicate that as late as Aug 25 2009 there was a bug in the driver that throws the TDS/Connection reset error under some conditions.  There also seems to be a bug related to closing PreparedStatements when the underlying connection has closed.  According to my version control, my driver is from April 2009 - the buggy one. MS released a new 3.0 CTP driver for SQL server 2008 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f914793a-6fb4-475f-9537-b8fcb776befd&displaylang=en).  I am switching to the new driver.  Some users reported better results using the jTDS driver from sourceforge (not trying that yet).

- Somebody asked for my DataSource configuration.  Here it is:

  <bean id="myDataSource" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource" destroy-method="close" lazy-init="true">
    <property name="driverClassName"            value="com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver"/>
    <property name="validationQuery"            value="select 1" />
    <property name="testOnBorrow"               value="true" />
    <property name="url"                        value="" />
    <property name="username"                   value="" />
    <property name="password"                   value="" />
  </bean>

Where the empty values are being inserted by PropertyOverrideConfigurer.