commons-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Melloni <Bruno.Mell...@chickasaw.net>
Subject RE: "Connection reset" exceptions
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:19:57 GMT
I am using Spring's JdbcDaoSupport.  The following the code that 'sometimes' throws the exception:

      DataSource ds = getJdbcTemplate().getDataSource();
      SimpleJdbcCall c = new SimpleJdbcCall(ds);
      c.withProcedureName(SP_NAME_FIND_ROWS);
      c.returningResultSet("rs", new GlRowMapper());
      results = c.execute(inParams);

There is no manual opening/closing of the connection.  It is all handled by Spring.

-----Original Message-----
From: jcarman@carmanconsulting.com [mailto:jcarman@carmanconsulting.com] On Behalf Of James
Carman
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 3:22 PM
To: Bruno Melloni
Cc: Commons Users List
Subject: Re: "Connection reset" exceptions

Are you leaving the connection open while you wait for user input?

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Bruno Melloni
<Bruno.Melloni@chickasaw.net> wrote:
> Yup!  "Select 1"
>
> And the exception only happens every once in a while, not constantly.

James Carman
> Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 3:17 PM
> To: Commons Users List
> Cc: Bruno Melloni
> Subject: Re: "Connection reset" exceptions
>
> you've tried supplying a validation query?
>
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Bruno Melloni
> <Bruno.Melloni@chickasaw.net> wrote:
>> I started getting these on a long-running command-line application, with Spring,
SQL Server and DBCP for the DataSource.   What I found by googling seems to point towards:

>> a)      The database times out on idle connections and resets them.  Then DBCP
does not know how to handle it and fails.

>> b)      A network failure causes a failure that triggers the error.
>>
>> The only solutions I found suggest that there is a bug in DBCP and that I should
switch to the c3p0 DataSource/connection pool.  But I suspect that there must be a way (perhaps
through config settings) to make DBCP not have these issues.  I would welcome any help that
I can get.