commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] compare/complement r
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 02:11:03 GMT
Sachin Dole wrote:
> R probably has a large superset of features that math provides while it
> tries to solve a very different type of problem too. Except r is written in
> c. The only java interface I know of is jri  (part of rjava). For complex
> calculations such as   simulations or cluster analysis I would like to
> compare/complement standard Java tools with the r platform. That's why I
> would want to do this...

You are correct that in general R provides a superset of what
commons math does, though there are a few things that commons math
provides that R does not.  There is a lot of overlap and in many
cases the functionality that is provided by commons math is similar
to what R provides, though of course the APIs are different. We test
some of the commons math implementation classes against R (see the R
subdirectory in src/test).  Commons math will not be of much value
as a wrapper / invocation framework for R; but it can be used
directly to do some of the same computations that R does.  This was
part of the original motivation for creating commons math.

The best way to get an overview of what is provided by commons math
is to look at the User Guide:
http://commons.apache.org/math/userguide/index.html

Phil