commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [dbcp] Re: "Connection reset" exceptions
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:55:48 GMT
Bruno Melloni wrote:
> I started getting these on a long-running command-line application, with Spring, SQL
Server and DBCP for the DataSource.   What I found by googling seems to point towards:

> a)      The database times out on idle connections and resets them.  Then DBCP does not
know how to handle it and fails.

> b)      A network failure causes a failure that triggers the error.
>
> The only solutions I found suggest that there is a bug in DBCP and that I should switch
to the c3p0 DataSource/connection pool.  But I suspect that there must be a way (perhaps through
config settings) to make DBCP not have these issues.  I would welcome any help that I can
get.

> Thank you.

First, note the [dbcp] prepended to the subject.  Putting the
component name at the start of the subject is our convention on this
list.

Now to your problem. It would be useful to have a little more
information:

1) What versions of commons dbcp and commons pool are you running?
The latest versions at this time are dbcp 1.3 (for JDK 1.4-1.5) or
dbcp 1.4 (JDK 1.6) and pool 1.5.4.

2) Can you please provide a sample stack trace of the exception that
you are getting?

Thanks!

Phil