commons-user mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] Can't find newInstance() and getMedian() methods in DescriptiveStatistics
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:01:01 GMT
Disc Magnet a écrit :
> I was trying to run the first example given in this page:
> http://commons.apache.org/math/userguide/stat.html My program is as
> follows:
>
> import org.apache.commons.math.stat.descriptive.DescriptiveStatistics;
>
> public class DescStats
> {
>     public static void main(String[] args)
>     {
>         System.out.println("hello, world");
>
>         DescriptiveStatistics stats = DescriptiveStatistics.newInstance();
>
>         int inputArray[] = new int[] {5, 7, 1, 3, 8};
>         for (int i = 0; i < inputArray.length; i++) {
>             stats.addValue(inputArray[i]);
>         }
>
>         double mean = stats.getMean();
>         double std = stats.getStandardDeviation();
>         double median = stats.getMedian();
>
>         System.out.println("mean: " + mean);
>         System.out.println("std: " + std);
>         System.out.println("median: " + median);
>     }
> }
>
> I get this error on trying to compile:
>
> DescStats.java:9: cannot find symbol
> symbol  : method newInstance()
> location: class org.apache.commons.math.stat.descriptive.DescriptiveStatistics
>         DescriptiveStatistics stats = DescriptiveStatistics.newInstance();
>                                                            ^
> DescStats.java:18: cannot find symbol
> symbol  : method getMedian()
> location: class org.apache.commons.math.stat.descriptive.DescriptiveStatistics
>         double median = stats.getMedian();
>
> I checked the apidocs at
> http://commons.apache.org/math/apidocs/org/apache/commons/math/stat/descriptive/DescriptiveStatistics.html
> and found that newInstance() and getMedian() methods are not present.
> Is the tutorial very old and out of sync with the latest Commons Math?

This is a documentation bug. Factory features have been deprecated in
1.2 and removed in 2.0, but it seems we forgot to update this example in
the stat part, despite this part has been updated several times since then.

Could you open a JIRA issue so we don't forget it ?

Thanks for reporting this.
Luc