commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] Re: Oracle session excess over maxActive
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 04:17:07 GMT
sic wrote:
> Yeah, I'll check whether I close PreparedStatements, Statements and ResultSet
> objects properly on my code.

And connections.

> Then I think I've already use testOnBorrow without stating clearly <property
> name="testOnBorrow" value="true"/> since it's default value is true.
> If it occurs again, I'll monitor the number of opened connections by the
> netstat command, thanks.
>
> And I'm addressing the appropriate configuration in my case.
> I can understand that 5 connections(maxActive(=15) - maxIdle(same as
> minIdle=10)) are destroyed and created continuously.
> So I'm going to set "maxIdle" property to a negative value(or more than
> maxActive value) in order not to destroy connections.

Good idea.

> However dropping both of these(e.g. maxIdle = 5, minIdle = 2) as you
> remarked above, it's likely to force the pool to destroy excess connections
> and create them more extremely.
> I wonder what means "dropping both of these" and want to point out my
> misunderstanding.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  What I mean by "dropping"
them was removing them from your config, resulting in both
properties being set to default values, which are 8 for maxIdle (a
reasonable value in general, but in your use case, I would set to a
negative value for no limit as suggested above) and 0 for minIdle.

Phil