commons-user mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: Commons-transaction abandoned?
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 16:37:07 GMT
That would be dead then :)

If it's not possible - I think we should retire the library asap with
such a statement. Do not use - it's not able to do what it says on the

Is there any more conversation we should have before determining that
a) it's misleading and b) there shouldn't be a 1.3 or 2.0 release with
the improved if not great functionality?

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Oliver Zeigermann
<> wrote:
> Folks!
> What Henri says is completely right.
> The project has been abandoned by me as I lost faith in one of its
> goal - ACID properties (especially atomicity) on any file system. From
> my (and others) point of view it can not be achieved by *any*
> implementation. So if you are asking whether there is another
> implementation that is more suitable, my answer is "there can't be
> any".
> Certain parts of the 2.0 code are quite reasonable, though, especially
> the locking and deadlock detection part. That's why I have not been
> determined what to do with the project. Certainly 2.0 is better than
> 1.x by any means, but I still think it should not be released as its
> promises can not be kept.
> Any thoughts?
> - Oliver
> 2010/3/5 Henri Yandell <>:
>> The current version is 1.2 (released in 2007).
>> 1.3-SNAPSHOT is then the subsequent version in development, but it
>> looks as though it was quickly renamed to 2.0.
>> 2.0 currently has 6 of 9 issues resolved, the most recent being
>> reported and applied in Sept 2009, and 2 of the open issues were
>> opened a month ago.
>> So I wouldn't call it dead - there just hasn't been much to do. Your
>> email does raise the question of whether 2.0 should be released or
>> not. I've cc'd Oliver who has been doing most of the work.
>> Hen
>> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM, John Ericksen <> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I came across the file transaction capabilities in commons-transaction today
>>> which was exactly what I was looking for.  To my disapointment, however, it
>>> looks like there hasn't been an update to the project for over 2 years.  The
>>> home page says the current version is a SNAPSHOT and from my search of the
>>> mailing list, it looks like 2.0 is upcoming (in 2007?).
>>> My question is, is the commons-transaction project abandoned, is there a
>>> better library out there for transactional file system operations?
>>> Thanks for your reply.
>>> John

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: