commons-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Nesbitt <snesb...@aussieswithtails.com>
Subject Re: [Sanselan] - Help Parsing EXIF Info embedded in PNG
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:22:00 GMT
Hi Chris:

I honestly don't think so. First of all if I use exiftool on one of my PNG I
do get a dump of EXIF info. And this corresponds to the documentation for
exiftool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/PNG.html)
which indicates that embedding EXIF is indeed not a PNG standard *but*
embedding arbitrary tag names is allowable and that one of the arbitrary but
standard tag names is "Raw profile type exif" and that it contains "raw" EXIF
info.

So I think the key questions is how do I parse the data and in particular is
the data returned by the zTxt.getText() method is compressed or uncompressed.

-steve