commons-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Kranz <patrick.kr...@netpioneer.de>
Subject Re: [dbcp] Re: Timeout for Idle Connections
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:23:56 GMT
Hello Phil,

thanks for you response. If I understand these properties correctly,
they set the time a connection will reside idle in the idle pool. What I
mean is that a connection is created because all connections that were
in the pool are in use. This new connection would be closed immediately
if in the moment close() is called on this new connection, the pool
already has maxIdle connections. What I am looking for is a timeout that
says "I know this is one more idle connection than I configured but keep
it around for just a few more seconds in case we have a second peak so
we don´t need to construct the connection again".

Cheers,
Patrick

Am 23.02.2010 03:18, schrieb Phil Steitz:
> Patrick Kranz wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I've been playing around with the DBCP for quite some time now, because
>> I want to get rid of Oracles Connection Pool. The only problem I still
>> wasn't able to solve is the following:
>>
>> In my Oracle Pool a connection gets closed within the pool after some
>> configurable amount of time. That means, if I have configured a maximum
>> idle of 4 and a maximum active of 10, the six connections that are
>> between these two limits are closed after for example 30 seconds. That
>> way these connections stay open as long as my period of high load lasts,
>> even if there are a few seconds without the need for more than 4
>> connections.
>>
>> The DBCP seems to work differently meaning that with the same
>> configuration every connection that is outside the maxIdle limit is
>> closed the moment the connection is returned to the pool.
>>
>> Maybe my assumption is wrong but I think depending on the way the
>> application is used, the way DBCP handles connections might result in a
>> higher rate of constructing new connections.
>>
>> So, is there any way to achieve the "Oracle way" that I did not stumble
>> into or was this simply never considered?
>>

> See the minEvictableIdleTimeMillis property of BasicDataSource
> and/or softMinEvictableIdleTimeMillis of GenericObjectPool if you
> are managing the pool directly.  To use either of these properties,
> you need to enable the idle object evictor by setting the
> timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis property to a positive value.
>
> Phil
>

>> Cheers,
>> Patrick

Patrick Kranz
Software-Entwickler

Netpioneer GmbH, Schumannstr. 9, 10117 Berlin
Geschäftsführer: Axel Jahn
HRB: 107521 Handelsregister Mannheim

Tel: 030 / 5 20 02 36 33
Fax: 030 / 5 20 02 36 30