commons-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Kranz <patrick.kr...@netpioneer.de>
Subject Timeout for Idle Connections
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:06:33 GMT
Hello list,

I've been playing around with the DBCP for quite some time now, because
I want to get rid of Oracles Connection Pool. The only problem I still
wasn't able to solve is the following:

In my Oracle Pool a connection gets closed within the pool after some
configurable amount of time. That means, if I have configured a maximum
idle of 4 and a maximum active of 10, the six connections that are
between these two limits are closed after for example 30 seconds. That
way these connections stay open as long as my period of high load lasts,
even if there are a few seconds without the need for more than 4
connections.

The DBCP seems to work differently meaning that with the same
configuration every connection that is outside the maxIdle limit is
closed the moment the connection is returned to the pool.

Maybe my assumption is wrong but I think depending on the way the
application is used, the way DBCP handles connections might result in a
higher rate of constructing new connections.

So, is there any way to achieve the "Oracle way" that I did not stumble
into or was this simply never considered?

Cheers,
Patrick