commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons-Pool : BasePoolableObjectFactory - generification in the roadmap ?
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 00:35:20 GMT
Kay Kay wrote:
> On 2/16/10 2:43 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Kay,

> :(
>
> Maybe you could just wear a silly hat. That'd be enough.

> Oh, I misunderstood your request: you mean that you want to use
> "generics" in commons-pool.
>
> I wasn't able to find any environment "requirements" for commons-pool,
> but I suspect that the developers would like commons-pool to be usable
> in pre-1.5 Java environments, where generic classes aren't available.
>
> I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of generics in the first place...
> just syntactic sugar that ends up making your code uglier than it would
> be with plain-old casting.
>

>   And, in Java, you don't even get RTTI which
> is really too bad :(
>

>> That has been my biggest sore-point with generics too. There are some
>> talks of 'reification' and similar constructs in java 7 , but i believe
>> it has been postponed to the next release altogether as well.
>

> If you'd like to use commons-pool as a basis for your own tools, you can
> certainly modify the source code to add lots of<  and>  symbols if you
> want. Also, patches are always welcome :)
>

>> Good to know. Is this being actively maintained at the moment / does it
>> warrant a separate branch for generics ?

Commons pool is being actively maintained.  As Chris points out, the
1.x versions of pool target "old" JDKs (1.3+) for backward
compatibility.

While I personally share Chris' attitude on generics, Commons
components are by and large moving to support them.  For pool, that
means version 2.0, where we will also take advantage of the
concurrency enhancements in JDK 1.5+.  Suggestions - ideally with
patches - for gerification of the API (as above) are welcome on the
dev list and JIRA.

Phil