commons-user mailing list archives

From Kay Kay <kaykay.uni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons-Pool : BasePoolableObjectFactory - generification in the roadmap ?
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:07:17 GMT

> Kay,
>
> On 2/16/2010 5:31 PM, Kay Kay wrote:
>
>> On 2/16/10 2:20 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> Kay,
>>
>> (Any relation to Jay Kay? That's guy's cool)
>>

>>>     not exactly :)
>>>
> :(
>
> Maybe you could just wear a silly hat. That'd be enough.
>

>>> I meant - something along the lines of -
>>>

>>> PoolableObjectFactory<T>  {
>>>    void activateObject(T obj);
>>>    destroyObject(T obj);
>>>    T makeObject();
>>>    void passivateObject(T obj);
>>>    boolean validateObject(T obj);
>>> }
>>>
> Oh, I misunderstood your request: you mean that you want to use
> "generics" in commons-pool.
>
> I wasn't able to find any environment "requirements" for commons-pool,
> but I suspect that the developers would like commons-pool to be usable
> in pre-1.5 Java environments, where generic classes aren't available.
>
> I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of generics in the first place...
> just syntactic sugar that ends up making your code uglier than it would
> be with plain-old casting.

>   And, in Java, you don't even get RTTI which
> is really too bad :(

That has been my biggest sore-point with generics too. There are some
talks of 'reification' and similar constructs in java 7 , but i believe
it has been postponed to the next release altogether as well.

> If you'd like to use commons-pool as a basis for your own tools, you can
> certainly modify the source code to add lots of<  and>  symbols if you
> want. Also, patches are always welcome :)

Good to know. Is this being actively maintained at the moment / does it
warrant a separate branch for generics ?