commons-user mailing list archives

From Hallvard Trætteberg <...@idi.ntnu.no>
Subject [SCXML] Modifying a statechart during runtime
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:01:42 GMT
Hi,

I been using SCXML for a long time (among others, I've implemented
support for Javascript), and I am in general pretty satisfied. In my
latest project, I will be generating a statechart from states that will
be composed into a hierarchy. The states are actually tied to objects in
an object tree, which is traversed to collect and compose the
statechart. Since objects come and go, I need to extend the machine
during runtime. In principle, I can stop, regenerate and restart the
statechart, but I would rather extend it on the fly.

- Is it possible to extend the state machine with new states, without
restarting the machine? In my case, I only need to add regions in a
parallel, so semantically it isn't problematic.
- Is there a clean way of storing and restoring the state of the
machine, in a format that can be inspected and modified (e.g. to change
the current state).

Best regards,

Hallvard Trætteberg