commons-user mailing list archives

From Peter Abeles <peter.abe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Re: [LINEAR] Performance and bugs of 2.0 library
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:55:03 GMT
Thanks.

I have seen some adhoc comparisons on-line. Mostly just matrix multiply.
Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.  Based
on personal experience I would expect about a 2-3 times speed hit
between well written java and c/c++ code because of array overhead and
language constraints.  For pure arithmetic I have gotten nearly
identical performance.

An accurate comparison could be done using this benchmark by writing a
wrapper with JNI.  The overhead from JNI wouldn't be measured because of
how the benchmark is designed.

I just grabbed the latest snapshot of commons-math-2.1a and will run it
through the benchmark.

- Peter