commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin <>
Subject problems using progresslistener with servletfileupload
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:40:46 GMT

I am having a very frustrating problem with servletfileupload and progresslistener. I am using
commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar and commons-io-1.4.jar. I would very much like to implement a
file upload feature which gives some feedback to the user about the progress so they don't
become impatient and give up. To do this I have attached a progresslistener to a servletfileupload
as described here:

But I am having a very hard time getting this to work right. After much debugging I have managed
to figure out that every single call to update in the progresslistener interface takes place
during the call to upload.parseRequest(request) which typically only takes a few milliseconds
right at the very end. Currently I am uploading images which take about 5-10 seconds to upload
and during most of the upload the progress is undefined and then right at the end it jumps
to 100% which is consistent with my debugging. So my question is what am I doing wrong? How
do I get the update function in the progresslistener interface to be called periodically while
the file is being uploaded instead of only at the very end when it is being processed?

Thanks for any help!