commons-user mailing list archives

From ChadDavis <chadmichaelda...@gmail.com>
Subject Creating Zip For Native Windows Archive Software
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:55:20 GMT
The Compress page specifically mentions that Window's native
"compressed folders" feature has problems with zip's created in Java.
It mentions that this is due to encoding in UTF-8 and suggests that
you encode with the target encoding.  Here's what I'm reading on the
site:

"If Windows' "compressed folders" is your primary consumer, then your
best option is to explicitly set the encoding to the target platform.
You may want to enable creation of Unicode extra fields so the tools
that support them will extract the file names correctly."

So, I tried this, using cp1252, cp437, and latin1 -- none of which work.

What do I need to do to get the zip archive to show up on windows?