commons-user mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] Re: Loading proeprteis according local
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 20:52:20 GMT
I have been considering either adding something to commons
configuration, but more probably creating a new project to do this (or
repurposing commons i18n).

The idea is that you want to have XML files that contain
internationalized message text. XML because it has a proper way of
specifying the encoding. But it would probably use the
java.util.Properties XML schema. Then you would have a combined
configuration that aggregates the files together in the manner
described in the ResourceBundle javadoc. In my case, I also need to
add in another factor - allowing the localized files to be overridden
per "business client" for multi-tenant support.  Ideally, this
framework should then be able to be plugged in underneath Spring's
MessageSource API, Struts' MessageResources API or even the Java 6
ResourceBundle.Control.  Of course, it should also be able to be used
directly.

Basic localization can be done today in 1.7-SNAPSHOT with
DefaultConfigurationBuilder, DynamicCombinedConfiguration and a set of
MultiFileHierarhicalConfigurations. Just make sure that the pattern
specified in the DynamicCombinedConfiguration and
MultiFileHierarchicalConfigurations contains the variable for the
locale.  All the framework I am proposing would do would be to wrap
this in a standard way and provide a suitable API.

Ralph