commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DBCP deadlock
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:02:56 GMT
Marc Logemann wrote:

>>> because as i said, there a 3 of 30 DB connections active on the DB
>>> Server.
>>
>> Which indicates that you likely have a connection leak.
>>

> But in my view, connection leak means, i am not closing SQL connections
> (apart form the fact that i checked this) but then these connections
> would be "in use" by the pool and also "in use" by the the server jobs
> that hold the connections. But thats not the case.

The "server jobs" may have vanished entirely, resulting in the
connection wrappers that they checked out from the pool getting
*abandoned*. Unless and until these objects are returned to the pool
by executing close() on them, DBCP considers them active, in use. If
they are never returned, pool capacity is leaked.

> It would be nice to ask DBCP while the situations occurs, how many db
> connection he "thinks" are in ue.
http://commons.apache.org/dbcp/api-1.2.2/org/apache/commons/dbcp/BasicDataSource.html#getNumActive%28%29

 But never saw an example how to query