commons-user mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: FTP library.
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 16:26:48 GMT
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Alan Grimes <agrimes@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> James Carman wrote:
>> Have you tried Commons VFS?  It might be easier.
>
> No, I'm basically groping in the dark. I put ftp into google, and
> net/ftp appears to be the most high-profile project from the apache
> foundation which appears to have the most mature set of Java libraries
> available.
>
> I feel like I'm the victim of a practical joke where you name one
> package with exactly the terms I would type into google, and then make a
> different package that is actually useful. =P

Heh, too funny.  Commons Net will do what you want, but it's meant to
be a lower-level API, more closely tied to the protocols themselves.
Commons VFS builds a file system abstraction on top of all kinds of
protocols (local files, ftp, http, etc.).  To me, it's easier to get
that up and running and if I ever want to change it in the future to a
different technology, I can without changing my client code, since
it's using the abstraction.