commons-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] Eclipse plugin available ?
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 02:56:14 GMT
On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Cedric NICOLAS
<cedric.nicolas@villefluide.fr> wrote:
> Rahul (and others),
>
> We are also making big progress using SCXML, as the core tool for our
> service (see http://www.villefluide.fr). For your information we are using
> SCXML as well on server side (commons Java implementation) and client sides
<snip/>

Cool.

On that note, if any Commons SCXML users want to be listed in the "Who
is using it?" section at the bottom of the home page (
http://commons.apache.org/scxml/ ) please provide a suitable link with
a sentence on how Commons SCXML is used and we'll add it to that
section.

> (mobile phones with Qt SCXML implementation now in standard in Qt 4.6) in
> order to have a single representation of our business logic, and SCXML is
> fantastic as it allows business logic to be completely non-programmatic and
> perfectly adapted to MVC pattern. So we are particularly interested in a UI
> Design tool being able to parse and generate back and forth SCXML files from
> a graphical representation, without going through the heavy XMI standard.
> Apart from the two solutions that you mention (Rational plugins that seems
> not to be maintained and light xslt template), is there any project to
> provide this somewhere ? We are ready to contribute, as our states machines
> is becoming quite complex to maintain on a simple XML editor.

<snap/>

It is the need of the hour. I'm not aware of any other open source
solution. Perhaps those with interest in the community can get
something started. I'd be happy to help, but don't have time to
initiate such an effort right now.

> Note that we regret that SCXML specification is quite weak on language
> mapping, and we have quite different interaction with language between Java
> (server side) and Qt/C++ (client-side). It would be much better to include
> in SCXML core W3C spec minimum mandatory mapping features for all languages,
> like SM data context management, events triggering, SM internal scripting,
> and call backs to native code.
<snip/>

True, we simply haven't reached that point yet. I can envision some
IDL definitions that will make the APIs seem familiar across
implementations, but I think that will take a while longer (there are
issues to discuss about the existing bits first).

> But at least states/transitions
> representations are the same, and this is essential.

<snap/>

Yup, one step at a time :-)

-Rahul