commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: FTP library.
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 18:45:10 GMT

In message <4ACB77E0.60407@yale.edu>, Mark Shifman writes:
>I know this is a commons user list but ...
>edtftp library works well. There is a free version and it does the things you
>know about
>with ftp ie get, and put.
>
>If you need to use streams, you can do that too.

I'm sure it's a good library and all, but none of the above
is lacking in Commons Net, so I don't see the need for the shameless
advertisement which doesn't answer the OP's question of how to download
a file with Commons Net.  Commons Net is far from perfect, but it's
been getting the job done in one incarnation or another for 12 years
now.  You've mistaken one user's difficulty in locating existing
Commons Net documentation and examples for a lack of functionality
in the library.

I only responded because the mailing list is archived and I wouldn't
want someone reading the archive in the future to arrive at an incorrect
conclusion.  That said, after reading the entire thread (I get the digest),
I think James Carman's suggestion to use VFS is best, as it insulates
you from low-level details.  Commons Net is a relatively simple API, but
assumes you understand the FTP protocol.

daniel