commons-user mailing list archives

From "Cedric NICOLAS" <cedric.nico...@villefluide.fr>
Subject RE: [SCXML] Eclipse plugin available ?
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:54:47 GMT
Rahul (and others),

We are also making big progress using SCXML, as the core tool for our
service (see http://www.villefluide.fr). For your information we are using
SCXML as well on server side (commons Java implementation) and client sides
(mobile phones with Qt SCXML implementation now in standard in Qt 4.6) in
order to have a single representation of our business logic, and SCXML is
fantastic as it allows business logic to be completely non-programmatic and
perfectly adapted to MVC pattern. So we are particularly interested in a UI
Design tool being able to parse and generate back and forth SCXML files from
a graphical representation, without going through the heavy XMI standard.
Apart from the two solutions that you mention (Rational plugins that seems
not to be maintained and light xslt template), is there any project to
provide this somewhere ? We are ready to contribute, as our states machines
is becoming quite complex to maintain on a simple XML editor.

Note that we regret that SCXML specification is quite weak on language
mapping, and we have quite different interaction with language between Java
(server side) and Qt/C++ (client-side). It would be much better to include
in SCXML core W3C spec minimum mandatory mapping features for all languages,
like SM data context management, events triggering, SM internal scripting,
and call backs to native code. But at least states/transitions
representations are the same, and this is essential.

Regards,