commons-user mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: the Commons Configuration problem
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2009 03:25:59 GMT

On Sep 23, 2009, at 7:28 PM, maven apache wrote:

> Hi:
> I found the Commons Configuration  can do most of read configuraion
> job for me ,so I want to have a try.
> But I am not sure the Commons Configuration how to read the file(for
> example a xml file), is it a Singleton?  Since if not, I think I
> should build a Singleton class to save the properties read by the
> Commons Configuration, if so , I can use the Commons Configuration
> directly.
> Thanks.

Have you looked at http://commons.apache.org/configuration/userguide/howto_xml.html#Accessing_properties_defined_in_XML_documents?

  If the user's guide doesn't provide all the information you are
looking for you might want to describe your use case so others can
give you advice on how to do it.

In answer to your specific question, no it is not a singleton. But if
your application keeps a reference to the configuration object you can
retrieve the properties as often as needed. If your application needs
to allow the configuration to be updated without restarting the
application you should not transfer the data to other objects.
Instead, use a reloading strategy and get the properties from the
configuration every time they are needed.

Ralph