commons-user mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <>
Subject [math] Re: Quasi-newton optimisation method
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:49:57 GMT
Weijian Fang a écrit :
> Hi,

First, please use a [math] marker when using this list for questions
regarding commons-math. The list is shared among all commons components
and this policy helps filtering the messages.

> I am using Apache commons math optimization packages. Several sources
> recommend the quasi-newton method. But it seems commons-math does not
> support it. May I know why commons-math chooses not to implement
> quasi-newton? May I add it as a feature request? Many thanks!

Algorithms are added to commons-math as need arise, progressively. So if
you need a quasi-newton the best way is to raise an issue in JIRA
<>. I guess the BFGS method
would be a good first candidate as a quasi-Newton.