commons-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SCXML: "external" vs. "internal" events
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:14:48 GMT
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Renaud, Martin<Martin.Renaud@nuance.com> wrote:
> Hi Rahul,
>
> Again, thanks a lot for your guidance. I now have an abstract implementation of state
machine that provided all the features we were looking for:
>  * Event triggered by state handlers methods are fired automatically.
>  * Execution of handler methods can be executed asynchronously via an Executor.
>  * Can save state and resume SM execution on another machine via getMemento()/setMemento().
>  * An error is logged when an invalid event occurs.
>
> So I'm done with the POC and I will recommend to use SCXML in our next project.

<snip/>

Good to know :-) I'd like to point out that if you want to share any
of your recipes / code snippets, we have a public wiki (requires a
short registration) here:

  http://wiki.apache.org/commons/SCXML/HomePage

Feel free to contribute to the tutorials section (any of the above
bullets would make good candidates if you are so inclined).

Separately, if you want to be listed in the "Who is using it?" section
on the website, attach corresponding text to a JIRA issue -- text that
can go on the home page (see bullets at the bottom):

  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/

> As for the suggested improvement on the AbstractStateMachine.invoke(...) method, I've
created an account on JIRA, but I do not have enough privilege to create an issue yet (or
I might just do not know how). The only operation available to me is "Save". If you could
grant me those privileges, I will gladly put all the information I can into it.

<snap/>

Once you are logged in, you should be able to create an issue. When
you go to this URL:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SCXML

and log in (top right of page), you should see this link as the first
bullet just under the project URL (top left of main content pane):

  "Create a new issue in project Commons SCXML"

Can you confirm that you don't see such a link when you follow these
steps? If so, we'll investigate some more, let us know.

-Rahul

> Thanks again,
>
> Martin

(but a super-class of my actual business sm.).  It works well and I'm happy to see there
is demand for it. It is not very complex to do... at least for a POC!

>> I also use the "super state" trick successfully to trap and log irrelevant events
being triggered. It will help catch bug in application code.

>> In the process of doing this, I ran in a little issue, probably something the could
be improved in the next version (I fixed it in my base sm implementation): the event handler
methods invoked dynamically when entering a new state are required to be defined in the "leaf"
implementation of the sm. It makes sense for "business" state, but it could be convenient
to defined "system" state handlers in super class. It is the case for me "superstate" and
"invalid_transition" state added to handle invalid transition. Using "MethodUtils.getAccessibleMethod(...)"
do the trick perfectly (are there is already a dependency on beanutils). Let me know if it
is useful to make that suggestion in a more formal way.

> <snip/>
>
> Note that the AbstractStateMachine class is meant to serve a set of
> simple usecases. As you push the boundaries, you will notice its
> limitations. For more involved usecases, its best to use the defined
> formalisms in SCXML (send, custom actions, invoke).
>
> Your comment above about class hierarchies makes sense -- a more
> formal way would be to attach a patch to a ticket in JIRA (patch is
> optional, but issues with patches usually get looked at quicker :-):
>
>  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/issue-tracking.html
>
> Also note that the dependency on BeanUtils will go away in the next
> major version of Commons SCXML (so the patch shouldn't depend on
> BeanUtils). The relevant work has been done in the J6 branch:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/branches/J6/
>

>> Now... I have more questions...
>>
>> 1) Arguments to state handlers
>> In AbstractStateMachine code, I see private variables named SIGNATURE and PARAMETERS
that seems to be there to provide some arguments when calling the event handler methods. But
they are not used actually. Is there any plan (or way) to enable this features (having some
object being supplied to handlers) ?

> <snap/>
>
> The variables are used, it just means the handler methods have no
> arguments. But since the AbstractStateMachine class supports getting
> at the SCXMLExecutor directly via getEngine(), it has access to the
> executor's root context (where any arguments that would otherwise be
> supplied to the handlers based on the state machine execution can be
> stored).
>

>> 2) Create a sm instance in set the current state.
>> We would like to be able to "save" the state of a sm and recreate it later in time,
probable on another machine, and continue where we were. But we do not want to persist the
whole thing; just the current state should suffice. In the spec, I saw the history state serve
this purpose to some extends, but can it be done for all the states without adding the <history
/> tag everywhere in the sm definition?