commons-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SCXML: "external" vs. "internal" events
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 03:49:20 GMT
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Renaud, Martin<Martin.Renaud@nuance.com> wrote:
> Thanks Rahul for the answers.
>
> I did implements an "internal" event queue managed by a sub-class of AbstractMachine
(but a super-class of my actual business sm.).  It works well and I'm happy to see there
is demand for it. It is not very complex to do... at least for a POC!

> I also use the "super state" trick successfully to trap and log irrelevant events being
triggered. It will help catch bug in application code.

> In the process of doing this, I ran in a little issue, probably something the could be
improved in the next version (I fixed it in my base sm implementation): the event handler
methods invoked dynamically when entering a new state are required to be defined in the "leaf"
implementation of the sm. It makes sense for "business" state, but it could be convenient
to defined "system" state handlers in super class. It is the case for me "superstate" and
"invalid_transition" state added to handle invalid transition. Using "MethodUtils.getAccessibleMethod(...)"
do the trick perfectly (are there is already a dependency on beanutils). Let me know if it
is useful to make that suggestion in a more formal way.

<snip/>

Note that the AbstractStateMachine class is meant to serve a set of
simple usecases. As you push the boundaries, you will notice its
limitations. For more involved usecases, its best to use the defined
formalisms in SCXML (send, custom actions, invoke).

Your comment above about class hierarchies makes sense -- a more
formal way would be to attach a patch to a ticket in JIRA (patch is
optional, but issues with patches usually get looked at quicker :-):

  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/issue-tracking.html

Also note that the dependency on BeanUtils will go away in the next
major version of Commons SCXML (so the patch shouldn't depend on
BeanUtils). The relevant work has been done in the J6 branch:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/branches/J6/

> Now... I have more questions...
>
> 1) Arguments to state handlers
> In AbstractStateMachine code, I see private variables named SIGNATURE and PARAMETERS
that seems to be there to provide some arguments when calling the event handler methods. But
they are not used actually. Is there any plan (or way) to enable this features (having some
object being supplied to handlers) ?

<snap/>

The variables are used, it just means the handler methods have no
arguments. But since the AbstractStateMachine class supports getting
at the SCXMLExecutor directly via getEngine(), it has access to the
executor's root context (where any arguments that would otherwise be
supplied to the handlers based on the state machine execution can be
stored).

> 2) Create a sm instance in set the current state.
> We would like to be able to "save" the state of a sm and recreate it later in time, probable
on another machine, and continue where we were. But we do not want to persist the whole thing;
just the current state should suffice. In the spec, I saw the history state serve this purpose
to some extends, but can it be done for all the states without adding the <history />
tag everywhere in the sm definition?

<snip/>

Depending on the usecase, it may be possible to get away with just
noting the current state. This topic has been discussed several times
on this list, here is one example that is perhaps similar to your
question (you can dig into the archives for much more on save/restore
and persistence/pooling):

  http://markmail.org/thread/7rzalbdmbtvhr4kq

-Rahul