commons-user mailing list archives

From Julius Davies <juliusdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release codec 1.4?
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:05:00 GMT
Hi,

I'm mostly happy with the state of the CODEC in the repository.
Base64 can be properly streamed when using the repository version, and
I believe it's at least 33% faster than any of these:

1. http://iharder.sourceforge.net/base64/   (2 times faster)
2. sun.misc.BASE64Decoder   (2 times faster)
3. openssl enc -base64 -d   (about 33% faster?)

Obviously I wish the patch I submitted for CODEC-75 would be applied
(I'm privately forking for my own needs).

yours,

Julius

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM, <david@davidkarlsen.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Note that due to the Caverphone class, the requirement for a Codec 1.4
>> release will be changed from Java 1.3.1 to 1.4.2. I think this is fine and
>> reworking Caverphone to be Java 1.3 compliant is not worth the effort.
>>
>> Is that an issue for anyone?
>
> Not for me - and can't really imagine for any else either, actually 1.4 was
> EOSL October last year: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
>
> If they haven't moved yet they'll have bigger problems than commons codec
> requiring it from v1.4 :)
>
> And - a big thanks!
>
> --
> David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43