commons-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Dougan <kevindou...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Question about FTPClient.sendCommand()
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 12:58:24 GMT

I tried using 2 different ones, but neither one worked, and both are String-based.

The first I tried was this:

FTPClient.sendCommand(line); // where line = "PUT localfile.txt remotefile.txt"

The next one I tried was this:

FTPClient.sendCommand(line, args); // where line = "PUT " and args = "localfile.txt remotefile.txt"

The point is, I don't want to have to know which commands are coming in, I just want to "forward"
those commands along to the server.

If I have to parse each line, and then substring it to figure out what it is trying to do,
then I am re-inventing the wheel again, and forcing myself to make coding changes whenever
someone wants to use a new API method, or the FTP Server protocol changes to support some
new command or feature.

Thanks!
Kevin
KevinDougan@Hotmail.com

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:46:57 +0100
> Subject: Re: Question about FTPClient.sendCommand()
> From: sebbaz@gmail.com
> To: user@commons.apache.org
>
> On 02/06/2009, Kevin Dougan <kevindougan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi and thanks for your reply. I'll try and give an example to illustrate...
> >

> > Let's say there's a file that contains the following lines:
> >
> > CWD /home/sampleuser/
> >
> > PUT localfile.txt remotefile.txt
> >

> > I am building a Java Class that will be "dumb", in the sense that it will just open
the file (after connecting to the FTP Server using some other properties), and issue the commands
it finds in that file. The idea is that the caller can dynamically build a file of commands,
and the program does not have to parse them individually and decide what they are, the program
can simply pass them along to the FTP Server.

> > Therefore, I was thinking that I could use the FTPClient.sendCommand() method to
simple forward those commands, but it is not working.

> Which sendCommand() method are you using?
>
> There are several, with different parameters.
>

> > I do NOT want to do the following:
> >
> > ...read line from file: PUT localfile.txt remotefile.txt
> >
> > ...decide which API method to call: if (line.startsWith("PUT")) client.storeFile(remoteFile,
localFile); else if (line.statrsWith("GET"))...etc, etc