commons-user mailing list archives

From luc.maison...@free.fr
Subject [math] Re: Commons Math
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:17:48 GMT

----- "Lynn Hazan" <lynn.hazan@lsce.ipsl.fr> a écrit :

> Dear all

Hi Lynn,

First of all, for questions about commons-math, please use the users mailing list of the commons
project (see recipients above), using [math] as a marker in the subject to help people filtering
among the various commons components.

> I am about to start developping softwares which need polynomial
> fitting.
>
> I was not decided about which language to use between Python and Java,
> mainly
> for lake of mathematical libraries in Java, until I learned about the
>
> commons.math project. The project is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for your interest in the project.

> What I am really intersted in is located in the
> org.apache.commons.math.optimization.fitting package which appeared
> with the
> 2.0-SNAPSHOT version. I wanted to know when is the expected release
> time of
> this version and if the snpashot version is stable enough to be used.

The fitting package is new in the commons-math library but really comes from a quite stable
library (mantissa) which is being progressively merged into commons-math since 2007. There
have been changes to fit (pun intended) the package to the commons-math interfaces, but this
code is nevertheless expected to be stable now.
The release date for 2.0 is very close. It was first targeted to end of May, but obviously
we are late. I hope we will be able to release it in the next few weeks, but of course cannot
promise anything.

Luc