commons-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Cole" <sc...@camsbycbs.com>
Subject Re: Question about FTPClient.sendCommand()
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 12:54:14 GMT
The sendCommand method requires the command and args to be passed as two
separate variables.

I think the bigger issue is that simpling sending a PUT command along with
the filenames is not going to send the file to the server. Check out the
FTPClient.java source and look at the _storeFile method. You'll see
everything else that needs to be done to actually store a file.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Dougan" <kevindougan@hotmail.com>
To: <user@commons.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 8:38 AM
Subject: RE: Question about FTPClient.sendCommand()

Hi and thanks for your reply. I'll try and give an example to illustrate...

Let's say there's a file that contains the following lines:

   CWD /home/sampleuser/

   PUT localfile.txt remotefile.txt

I am building a Java Class that will be "dumb", in the sense that it will
just open the file (after connecting to the FTP Server using some other
properties), and issue the commands it finds in that file. The idea is that
the caller can dynamically build a file of commands, and the program does
not have to parse them individually and decide what they are, the program
can simply pass them along to the FTP Server.

Therefore, I was thinking that I could use the FTPClient.sendCommand()
method to simple forward those commands, but it is not working.

I do NOT want to do the following:

...read line from file: PUT localfile.txt remotefile.txt

...decide which API method to call: if (line.startsWith("PUT"))
client.storeFile(remoteFile, localFile); else if
(line.statrsWith("GET"))...etc, etc

However, I am trying to do something more simple, like the following:

...read line from file: PUT localfile.txt remotefile.txt

...pass the command along

...read next line from file: : : :

...pass the command along: : : :

...etc, etc