commons-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Hughes <ahhug...@gmail.com>
Subject [JXPath] Questions about pointers, listeners & filters
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 02:39:14 GMT
Hi All - probably just Matt tho   :)
I've had some great results with JXPath, and I am now getting down to the
nitty/gritty of what I am trying to achieve. Which is quite complex and I've
no doubt that more experienced people than me exist in this area! Help is
once again greatly appreciated!!!

Background: I am dealing with dynamic objects (Nodes). Node's
appear/disappear at runtime and are encapsulated in a heirarchy of HashMap's
for JXPath's context bean. This works fantastic, but I have two remaining
mandatory requirements.

Requirement 1: Listening
As a new node appears, listeners defined as expressions would like to know
about this. For example, someone would like to know if a Ferrari ever
appears in the context bean:  //Car[@name="Ferrari"]
or /Transport/Vehicle/Car[@name="Ferrari"]. I believe that I should be
testing is if the newly created/removed node/pointer is found in any of the
supplied listening expressions? Ideally this can be done by traversing the
minimal number of object's as possible - and could be too inefficient :'(
for use.

Requirement 2: Filtering.
As a new node appear's I would like to know if I should include this node in
the context bean hierarchy (i.e. addNewChild()) or ignore it. The criteria
is if the new node is found using an expression (include or exclude). For
example, if we don't deal with China then we might have an exclude
expression /World/Asia/China or /World/Asia/*. Can I determine if the new
node is within an includes/excludes expression without having to add the
node to the context, then testing, then removing - becuase this has the
potential to falsly invoke listeners in Requirement #1

I'd like to know if there is any helpful functionality within jxpath that I
am unaware of. I suspect there is

As usual... I'm incredibly thankful for any help I can get :)