commons-user mailing list archives

From "Michael K. Craghead" <mcragh...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [commons-exec] How to exec scp from cygwin?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 21:43:27 GMT
It turned out to be relatively simple. All I had to do was create a command line with a string
of the absolute path of cygwin (relative path probably works as well if cygwin is in your
PATH or System Path):

Executor exec = new DefaultExecutor();
CommandLine cl = new CommandLine("c:\\cygwin\\cygwin.bat");

The part that I was confused about was how to get the Executor to take the scp as part of
the cygwin and not a windows command since the openssh package works as part of cygwin and
not windows (if anyone knows how to use a cygwin ssh package directly from Windows please
let me know). All I needed was a pipe ('|'). I didn't think it would be that simple, as it's
been years since I've done any real work on *NIX without a GUI interface of some sort.

cl.addArgument("|");
cl.addArgument("scp");
cl.addArgument("-B");
cl.addArgument(StringUtils.quoteArgument("/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/michael/some
_file"));
cl.addArgument("michael@my_remote_host:/home/michael");
exec.executive(cl);

Of course I had to use the quoteArgument() method for the absolute path of the file to be
transferred since it has spaces and *NIX doesn't like spaces. That was it. I think cygwin
would stay 'active' as long as you kept adding pipes and *NIX commands/scripts to the command
line. I haven't played with it. It's just a guess.

For me, the hardest part was just getting openssh setup properly since I hadn't used it before.

Thanks for your interest.
 Michael K. Craghead